Universal Access To All Knowledge
Home Donate | Store | Blog | FAQ | Jobs | Volunteer Positions | Contact | Bios | Forums | Projects | Terms, Privacy, & Copyright

Poster: light into ashes Date: Mar 4, 2012 2:28am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: 10/17/70 update!!!

Charlie Miller wrote today:
"This is now done and uploading to a server for circulation... This is one of the best shows I have heard from 1970. The band is on fire. The audience is really having fun. It was enjoyable to listen to. Good Lovin' is great."

Poster: elbow1126 Date: Mar 4, 2012 6:50am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

Already at LL

Grateful Dead - October 17, 1970
Cleveland Music Hall - Cleveland, OH

Recording Info:
Unknown Mic -> Cassette Master (Mono)

Transfer Info:
Cassette Master (Nakamichi DR-1) -> Sound Devices 744T (24bit/96k) ->
Adobe Audition v3.0 -> Samplitude Professional v11.2 -> FLAC/16
(2 Discs Audio / 1 Disc FLAC)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
charliemiller87@earthlink.net
March 3, 2012

Notes:
-- Recorded front row balcony by Jeff Linton
-- Encore moved to end of Set 1 to fit show on two discs
-- Truckin' cuts during the chorus
-- Beginning of TIFTOO is missing and 2 drop outs cleaned up
-- Small cut in Candyman cleaned up
-- Beginning of Hard To Handle is cut
-- Small cut in Cold Rain And Snow cleaned up
-- Two cuts in Dark Star cleaned up
-- Tape flip in Turn On Your Lovelight cleaned up
-- This is a really hot show that needs to be heard by everyone
-- Thanks to Joe B. Jones for his help with the pitch correction

Set 1:
d1t01 - Tuning
d1t02 - Casey Jones
d1t03 - China Cat Sunflower ->
d1t04 - I Know You Rider
d1t05 - Me And My Uncle
d1t06 - It Hurts Me Too
d1t07 - Truckin
d1t08 - That's It For The Other One ->
d1t09 - Sugar Magnolia
d1t10 - Candyman
d1t11 - Hard To Handle

Set 2:
d2t01 - Tuning
d2t02 - Good Lovin'
d2t03 - Cold Rain And Snow
d2t04 - Dark Star ->
d2t05 - Saint Stephen ->
d2t06 - Not Fade Away ->
d2t07 - Going Down The Road Feeling Bad ->
d2t08 - Not Fade Away ->
d2t09 - Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore:
d1t12 - Uncle John's Band

Poster: bailey-g Date: Mar 4, 2012 8:20am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

Something new from Cleveland,very cool! For some reason,that place produced some monsters. Been to C-town,nice enough place/people. Can't say I found it all that inspiring though. Maybe they passed around a jug of 'Cuyahoga sunshine' before each show...
Anyway,looking forward to getting lost in this one.

Poster: Dhamma1 Date: Mar 4, 2012 6:39am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

It appears this show has not been in circulation before now. At least there's no copy at the Archive, no detail at Deadlists.com (which says there's no copy in the vault), and no discussion of it in Deadbase or the Taping Compendium. According to Deadlists, they played both TOO and Dark Star.

McNally describes the tour on pages 381-383. He notes that they did not bring their own sound equipment and were often at odds with inept local technicians and promoters. They had done shows the previous week in NY, NJ and Philadelphia, several of which do not survive on tape, and then turned west. From Cleveland they went the next day to Minneapolis and then on to St. Louis before heading back to the East Coast. At one point they played 11 shows in 11 days, and only reached home at the end of November. American Beauty was released a few days later.

Looks like this is one we should all be grateful for.

This post was modified by Dhamma1 on 2012-03-04 14:39:52

Poster: rastamon Date: Mar 5, 2012 12:01pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

it's odd that the Darkstar document does not even list it in the "DARK STARS STILL MISSING FROM CIRCULATION" list here >>

http://www.shallwego.net/deadlists/darkstar.htm

Poster: light into ashes Date: Mar 5, 2012 1:13pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

That's because nobody knew the setlist for this show until a few months ago, and that Dark Star document is several years old.

Poster: rastamon Date: Mar 5, 2012 1:22pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

with the construction of the Macroscope, all lost shows will be found

WHAT THE ARTIST DOETH
THE LORD KNOWETH
KNOWETH THE ARTIST NOT?

Poster: scotch_glass Date: Mar 4, 2012 2:05pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

Got a chance to download it this morning and it made my road trip home, very, very enjoyable. This won't leave the CD player for awhile.

Poster: Dudley Dead Date: Mar 5, 2012 8:03am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

Good news ! Since I don't do the torrent thing yet , I will impatiently wait for it to show up here , and you that already have it can taunt me ...

Poster: snow_and_rain Date: Mar 5, 2012 8:14am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

I've listened to most of the first set so far and it is HOT! China>Rider and The Other One are outstanding. Decent quality aud for the era, and the whole band is raging.

Poster: jerrys beard Date: Mar 4, 2012 8:34am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

Over 100 seeders at LL currently...great time to grab the show. Just DL'd it and will give it a listen in a few...taking some time to digest Chick Corea's newest.

Poster: light into ashes Date: Mar 7, 2012 12:12pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

A long review, for the 1970 fanatics:

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2012/03/101770-cleveland.html

Poster: cd bodhi Date: Mar 10, 2012 7:02pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

LIA - I've been following the band since '72 (but first show = 6/14/76) and discovered the archive around '04. I was looking forward to hearing 10/17/70 especially after seeing it listed a gdtrfb - which I knew had to be only the second or third performance.
Finally got to listen after it was linked 3/6. I was floored with the strong wbygn - foolishly thought no one noticed and submitted my first ever review.
After which - I happened to scroll down to this post and read your comprehensive review. You, sir, are a scholar - and I, a rank amateur. Thanks for your intelligent and insightful commentary.

Poster: light into ashes Date: Mar 10, 2012 11:27pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

Heck, someone else had to notice the WBYGN! And I bet more people will read your review than mine...

One thing that's pretty cool is that 1200 people have already checked out this show from this site, Lossless Legs & elsewhere. Pretty good for a 1970 AUD - of course, it was well-hyped!

Poster: ghostofpig Date: Mar 5, 2012 4:37am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

Having listened to this twice, I believe I recorded this.

Poster: snow_and_rain Date: Mar 5, 2012 8:10am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

I don't think so, unless there's been some kind of mix-up (or your name is Jeff Linton). Still, it's exciting to think we might someday have multiple sources for this show. This is from the discussion at deadlists.

On Dec 5, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Jeff Linton wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>=20
> Sorry to bother you with this.
>=20
> I've noticed for years that the setlist for my first GD show is not =
listed in any of the databases.
> Occasionally when I'm bored, which isn't often, I try to contribute my =
list to several of the
> databases to no avail.
>=20
> Perhaps you have better connections that I, and can get this to the =
powers that be. Here goes:
>=20
> Cleveland Music Hall 10/17/70
>=20
> Set One
> Casey Jones
> China Cat Sunflower
> I know You Rider
> Me and My Uncle
> It Hurts me Too
> Truckin'
> The Other One
> Cryptical Envelopment
> Sugar Magnolia
> Candyman
> Hard to Handle
>=20
> Set Two
> Good Love
> Drums
> Good Love
> Cold Rain and Snow
> Dark Star
> Not Fade Away
> Going Down the Road
> Not Fade Away
> Lovelight
>=20
> Encore
> Uncle John's Band
>=20
> It was a double shotgun blast of the Live Dead/Skull and Roses =
experience.
> It was a week before my 17th birthday and I've been on the bus ever =
since.
>=20
> This was at the smaller Music Hall that is backed up against and =
shares stage area=20
> with the much larger Public Hall. I seem to recall seeing a review =
saying they were
> so loud that it could be heard in the Public Hall during a =
performance by either the=20
> Cleveland Pops or Cleveland Orchestra.
>=20
> I can back this up with a very old mono cassette recording I made at =
the concert.
> In spite of the Bob and Jerry songs, the Dark Star, the Other One etc, =
it was very much,
> without a doubt, Pigpens band
> What a BIG FAT SOUND they had back then!
>=20
> After the concert, as me were walking down the sidewalk along the =
hall, there came a deep rumble
> down from the pit of the basement of the hall, up the ramp there comes =
dozens of Bikers up the ramp.
> =46rom five feet away on the sidewalk we thought we saw Jerry at the =
head of the pack. Over the years
> I've heard in no uncertain terms Jerry never road a hog, but it sure =
was a nice vision and a fitting end to
> a wild concert.
>=20
> Many Thanks,
> Jeff Linton
>=20

Poster: rastamon Date: Mar 5, 2012 7:02am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

Really? Did you tape any more uncirculated shows from 10/70? I wonder how many Aud.taped shows are out there that have not been circulated?
...only the shadow knows!

Poster: light into ashes Date: Mar 5, 2012 9:40pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1970-10-17.aud.linton.miller.119329.flac16

Poster: rastamon Date: Mar 6, 2012 5:32am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

the sound is OK considering it was taped on a handheld mono recorder. The Dark Star is fairly unique and different than any I've heard. There seems to be a missing spot or shift? @3:13 into it.

Poster: snow_and_rain Date: Mar 6, 2012 2:42pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

Yeah, hard to say how much is missing. Could be as little as a minute or as many as four or five. Too bad, because they're really cooking at that point!

Poster: snow_and_rain Date: Mar 4, 2012 8:30am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: 10/17/70 update!!!

Cleveland rocks! Cleveland rocks!